Founded in 1851, it is located on the oldest continuous site of higher education in the state of Florida.
Florida State is home to Florida's only national laboratory, the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, and is the birthplace of the commercially viable anti-cancer drug Taxol.
In 1883 the institution, now long officially known as the West Florida Seminary, was organized by the Board of Education as The Literary College of the University of Florida.
Under the new university charter, the seminary became the institution's Literary College, and was to contain several "schools" or departments in different disciplines.
Florida State University is traceable to a plan set by the 1823 U. The Legislature of the State of Florida, in a Legislative Act of January 24, 1851, provided for the establishment of the two institutions of learning on opposite sides of the Suwannee River.
The Legislature declared the purpose of these institutions to be "the instruction of persons, both male and female, in the art of teaching all the various branches that pertain to a good common school education; and next to give instruction in the mechanic arts, in husbandry, in agricultural chemistry, in the fundamental laws, and in what regards the rights and duties of citizens." By 1854 the City of Tallahassee had established a school for boys called the Florida Institute, with the hope that the State could be induced to take it over as one of the seminaries. Eppes again offered the Institute's land and building to the Legislature.However, the West Florida Seminary, as it was still generally called, continued to expand and thrive.It shifted its focus towards modern-style post-secondary education, awarding "Licentiates of Instruction", its first diplomas, in 1884, In 1901 it became Florida State College, a four-year institution organized in four departments: the College, the School for Teachers, the School of Music, and the College Academy.In 1911 his estate sued the state educational board contending the estate was not intended to support a single-sex school.The Florida Supreme Court decided the issue in favor of the State of Florida stating the change in character (existing from 1905 to 1947) was within the intent of the Westcott will. Bill after World War II stressed the state university system to the point that a Tallahassee Branch of the University of Florida (TBUF) was opened on the campus of the Florida State College for Women with the men housed in barracks on nearby Dale Mabry Field.By 1933 the Florida State College for Women had grown to be the third largest women's college in the United States and was the first state women's college in the South to be awarded a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, as well as the first university in Florida so honored. The FSU West Campus land and barracks plus other areas continually used as an airport later became the location of the Tallahassee Community College.The post-war years brought substantial growth and development to the university as many departments and colleges were added including Business, Journalism (discontinued in 1959), Library Science, Nursing and Social Welfare.Florida State University (Florida State or FSU) is a public space-grant and sea-grant research university in Tallahassee, Florida.It is a senior member of the State University System of Florida.The bill to locate the Seminary in Tallahassee passed both houses and was signed by the Governor on January 1, 1857.On February 7, 1857, the first meeting of the Board of Education of the State Seminary West of the Suwannee River was held, and the institution began offering post-secondary instruction to male students.