After a wealthy sponsor volunteered to pay for the renovation of Dublin’s Abbey Theatre as the company’s permanent home, the theatre opened on December 27, 1904.
It included plays by the company’s three directors: Lady Gregory, John M.
There he wrote poems, plays, novels, and short stories—all with Irish characters and scenes.
In addition, he produced book reviews, usually on Irish topics.
Most of Yeats’s poetry, however, used symbols from ordinary life and from familiar traditions, and much of his poetry in the 1890s continued to reflect his interest in Irish subjects.
During this decade he also became increasingly interested in poetic techniques.
At this time he also wrote 10 plays, and the simple, direct style of dialogue required for the stage became an important consideration in his poems as well.
He abandoned the heavily elaborated style of written in 1912, Yeats derided his 1890s poetic style, saying that he had once adorned his poems with a coat “covered with embroideries / Out of old mythologies.” The poem concludes with a brash announcement: “There’s more enterprise / In walking naked.” This departure from a conventional 19th-century manner disappointed his contemporary readers, who preferred the pleasant musicality of such familiar poems as “The Lake Isle of Innisfree,” which he wrote in 1890.
Simplification was only the first of several major stylistic changes. ” an essay in the prominent Irish poet Seamus Heaney commended Yeats for continually altering and refining his poetic craftsmanship.
“He is, indeed, the ideal example for a poet approaching middle age,” Heaney declared.